Why do we love sports so much? Why are we so fascinated about athletics and watching athletes push themselves to their limit? Why are we intrigued with seeing records being broken?
One word, Inspiration.
We aspire to be more. People that give us hope inspire us to accomplish the impossible. Whatever your personal goals or struggles, there is always hope, you just have to believe.
Some of my favorite quotes,
- Kelly Slater – “The joy of surfing is so many things combined, from the physical exertion of it, to the challenge of it, to the mental side of the sport.”
- Jack O’Neill – “I’m just a surfer who wanted to build something that would allow me to surf longer.”
- Mick Fanning – “Sometimes things just happen. Sometimes surfing this bank from Snapper to Kirra, sometimes you don’t even think what you’re doing, but you do it anyway … You get to the end of a wave and go, what did I do? Sometimes you go into a totally different state of mind. “
- Bethany Hamilton – “Courage doesn’t mean you don’t get afraid. Courage means you don’t let fear stop you.”
- Larid Hamilton – “We’re all equal before a wave.”
- Lane Beachley – “If you are doing what you love then you’re doing what is right. Desire and passion resonate with your body, mind and soul. When you’re passionate you don’t question, judge, criticize, second-guess, or doubt. It’s that passion that will fuel the fire to overcome challenges.”
- Gerry Lopez – “It’s a cakewalk when you know how.”
- Phil Edwards – “The best surfer is the one having the most fun.”
- Buzzy Trent – “Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear.”
- Bethany Hamilton – “Life is a lot like surfing… When you get caught in the impact zone, you’ve got to just get back up. Because you never know what may be over the next wave.”
All of these surfers became important figures because they instilled a strong belief of doing the impossible. But most importantly, they believed in themselves and did what they knew was right.
Surfing isn’t about being the best or winning trophies. Like all challenges in life, surfing is about improving as a person and proving the impossible to yourself.
No one is a better surfer than you are. A lot of beginners are worried about looking like a “kook” when they are just starting out. But I respect those that are trying to learn and doing everything they can to become better. Whether you’re trying to advance your career, lose weight, save enough to buy a house, get married, whatever your goals are you have to believe in yourself and let the fear of failure go…
“Defeat is not the worst of failures. Not to have tried is the true failure.” George Edward Woodberry (not a surfer, but a poet)
Recently, I went head on with a ~8-10′ wave and never hesitated. This was the result. I was stoked!
What are some of your favorite quotes? Feel free to comment and share how you’re able to accomplish your goals.